To my absolute surprise, this blog has been nominated for The Sunshine Blogger Award; which recognizes and celebrates the creativity, positivity and inspirations of blogger’s work. I was nominated by Emma Purcell, the fantastic blogger from RockForDisability https://rockfordisability.com/.
Thank you so much for the Nomination Emma.
I am thrilled to be nominated and hope you get to know me a little bit better in this post.
1 List the rules and display The Sunshine Blogger Award badge in your post.
2 Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their blog.
3 Answer the 10 questions that the person who nominated you asked you.
4 Nominate up to 12 other bloggers to receive the award and ask them 10 new questions.
- Why did you become a blogger?
I wanted to share my experiences of life as a blind person in the hope that others can relate and accept that disabled people are pretty awesome but pretty ordinary too. I thought it would be a good way to show people who are not disabled that we are capable and competent human beings and to attempt to bridge the divide between disabled and non-disabled people.
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
I enjoy reading, watching series, drinking coffee and having long phone conversations with friends and family, spending time with my boyfriend and playing with our dogs.
- Who is your favourite band or musician and why?
I mostly listen to rock music with bands such as Breaking Benjamin, Red, Three Doors Down, and many others on my favorite playlist. I love the depth and emotion in the songs, You can feel the music, like it’s in your soul or part of you. I also like some cover artists like Madilyn Bailey, mostly because I love piano covers.
- If you could meet any famous person, alive or dead, who would it be and why!
Marilyn Monroe… She lived life on her own terms, she was witty and a little ahead of her time, I think. As for the living, I’d like to have a conversation with Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Hemsworth, Benedict Cumberbatch and Jim Dale. I don’t want to say anything, I just want to listen to their voices.
If you had a time machine that could take you forward or back, which time period would you go to and why?
I quite like the present. Technology is a blind person’s best friend.
- If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
Perhaps an owl, infinite wisdom and all that or maybe a dog, so someone can scratch my head all day long.
- You’re on a deserted island and you are allowed to bring one item with you? What item would you bring and why?
Sunscreen… I burn easily and anything else would be kind of pointless, wouldn’t it?
- What is your dream job?
Working for the UN or other similar international organisation, trying to make the world a better place for people with disabilities.
- What is your most popular blog post?
I’m not sure actually. A SERIES OF AWKWARD ENCOUNTERS WITH A GIRL ON THE EDGE OF ORDINARY, I think. It was a post about the weird things that happen to me, written between the lines of sarcasm and humor, which is exactly who I am and I think it was relatable.
10 What advice would you give to other bloggers?
Don’t lose yourself in an attempt to gain a few of followers, stay true to your voice and what you want to accomplish with your blog. Quality is always better, write because it makes you happy, because it is therapeutic and because you have an opinion. It shouldn’t feel like a chore or a popularity contest.
In south Africa, we are in the month of celebrating women and because I believe that women are more powerful than we give ourselves credit for, I nominate the following bloggers:
•Confessions of a teenage mutent
- What is your favorite part of blogging?
- What was the blog post you enjoyed writing most?
- What is your idea of the perfect day?
- Who inspires you?
- What is your greatest strength and how does it make your life better?
- If you could speak to the world beyond social media through one of your blog posts, which one would you choose and why?
- What have you done, outside your comfort zone that you are proud of?
- What makes you happy to be alive even when things are tough?
- If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
- What do you want fellow bloggers to know about you and/or your blog?
Thanks again Emma.